by Terri R. Marshall, CHSMS
Self-nurturing is taking care of yourself. Many people put themselves at the bottom of their own list of priorities. The result is burnout, exhaustion and resentment. We are unable to be at our best if we don’t take time out for ourselves to rest, relax and renew.
Self-nurturing does not have to be difficult or overly time-consuming. Anything that helps us feel more positive and joyful is self-nurturing. Below is a list of 25 ideas, but don’t limit yourself. Think about simple pleasures that speak to you personally and incorporate them into your life each and every day. The result? A happier, healthier you!
1. Be Grateful (Keep a Gratitude Journal . . . write down 5 things you are grateful for each day)
2. Practice Relaxation Techniques/Relaxation Therapy
3. Surround Yourself with Positive People (Choose people who help you grow and thrive, Re-connect with loved ones with whom you’ve lost touch)
4. Practice Kindness and Compassion (Remember to help and pray for others)
5. Give Praise and Let Go of Criticism
6. Visualize (Choose where you want to be vs. where you are for your visualizations)
7. Do Not Complain (Learn to let it go)
8. Listen to Music You Enjoy (and if you can, dance)
9. Exercise (Choose something you really enjoy, why not try a type of mind/body/spirit exercise like yoga, tai chi or qi gong?)
10. Volunteer and Donate (Promote a cycle of goodwill; pay it forward)
11. Learn Proper Self-Care (Get enough sleep, detoxify, eat a healthy, balanced diet and drink plenty of water . . . learn to listen to your body)
12. Create a Comfort Drawer for Yourself (fill it with goodies you love including favorite teas, bubble bath, magazines, the sky’s the limit!)
13. Seek New Experiences and Knowledge (why not try a holistic therapy such as acupuncture or that store you’ve always wanted to go in, but never took the time)
14. Follow Your Bliss (Use your creativity, gifts and talents . . .begin a hobby or career you are passionate about)
15. Have Great Sex (Especially Tantric/Sacred Sex or a romantic evening with that special someone)
16. Read a Good Book or Watch a Great Movie (Why not try reading some poetry?)
17. Laugh (Laughter truly is the best medicine)
18. Seek Solitude (Meditate, go within and get creative, try a fun excursion by yourself)
19. Use Positive Affirmations (Make a conscious choice to be happy)
20. Take A Long, Hot Bath (Add soft music and candlelight for ambience or some relaxing aromatherapy Lavender . . . simply add a couple of drops of Lavender essential oil)
21. Spend Time with Your Pet(s)
22. Have a Cup of Your Favorite Coffee or Tea (Chamomile Tea is especially relaxing; avoid caffeine before bed)
23. Get Out in Nature (Try a walking meditation in the warm sunshine, spending time near the water, cloudwatching or enjoying a beautiful sunset)
24. Get a Massage (Touch can be very healing)
25. Remember the Purpose of Life is Joy!
About the Author:
Terri R. Marshall is a Relaxation Therapist, Certified Stress Management Specialist, Wellness Coach and owner of Tranquility Bay Relaxation Therapy and Wellness Coaching. She has offices in Annapolis and Millersville, Maryland and is also available for out-of-area telephone consultations. Her website is http://www.tranquilitybaywellness.com
Terri specializes in Relaxation Therapy for everyone and Wellness Coaching for Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Lyme Disease and Related Environmental Illnesses. Tranquility Bay gift certificates are available and make great gifts for family and friends.
Get a Free Positive Affirmation MP3!
Our positive affirmations help you to create a stronger sense of self-love & self-confidence, increase your abundance & prosperity, discover your life purpose, attract great opportunities, develop healthy relationships, foster healing & well-being, maintain a healthy weight and body image, and attain greater inner peace & calm. The MP3 meditation takes all of these great affirmations and sets them to music, creating a soothing meditation you’ll want to listen to again and again!